By now you must have researched all about what does a data analyst do and how is it different from data scientist. So let me not waste your time in repeating these same points and jump straight to what you need to do in order to become a data analyst in 2022.
Your whole strategy should revolve around four key skills.
- Technical skills
- Analytical skills
- Skill to utilize your domain knowledge
- Soft skill
Additional tip: Always remember to practice whatever you have learnt. Because all the tools that you will learn & all the hard work in honing them will only be worth when you could retain them. As a data analyst you never know which tool will come in handy with the data set that you’re working on.
Start With Working On Technical Skill
Here’s the list:
- SQL – The most popular technical skill and an absolute must have in your arsenal is the knowledge of SQL. It is specified as a prime requirement by the companies in almost every data analyst job listed. But, before you run off to buy a course on SQL, you can check out my series of tutorials on YouTube which takes you from beginners to advance level to get a hang of it. It’s a good place to start if you are new to SQL.
- BI tools – Another technical skill is Tableau &/or Power BI. Both these BI tools will help you in data visualization, which again is a must have.
- Programming language – Next, go for programming languages like Python or R which are quite in demand as a data analyst skill.
- Spreadsheets – Don’t forget Excel. Excel is everywhere. In fact, most of the time it is not even listed as a job requirement. Mostly because the employers usually expect you to know working with excel.
Excel & SQL teamed with Tableau & Python could land you an entry level data analyst job.
Again, make sure to check Python tutorials for free on my channel before spending money on a comprehensive course.
Inculcate Analytical Skills Simultaneously
Whatever technical skill you are currently learning, try doing a project using it. By doing this you will be able to build your analytical skills like
- problem solving
- critical thinking and
while simultaneously gaining technical skill.
Leverage The Knowledge of Your Domain
Data analysts are required in every field today not just in IT industry. So whatever your domain may be find a way to understand and analyze the data generated there in order to make them useful for the businesses. So for example if you are in pharmaceutical industry, you could do a project on finding trends in medicinal demand during pandemic times.
Upgrade Your Soft Skills
Lastly, try building on your soft skill because major part of becoming a data analyst is that you will have to put your findings in front of the business decision-makers. You will be working as an interface between the technical aspect and the non-technical entities.
Soft skills that you could start with are:
- Communication – The traditional face-to-face method of communication has been replaced by the other contactless options due to the recent pandemic. So you need to upgrade yourself accordingly. For example, while learning a technical skill, you can put some short videos of the process on your social media eg. Instagram reels or YouTube shorts. It will help you get accustomed to handling yourself while talking in the camera rather than to a real person. Trust me its harder than it looks. First time talking in a camera could be awkward.
- Creativity – Try doing projects using the technical skills that you have learnt. It will not only show initiative but also your creative side which will help recruiters make a positive hiring decision for you.
- Work ethic – Completing projects on time and no plagiarism are some work ethics that you should inculcate which will always be with you throughout your career.
In addition to these skills, you could also o some certification courses offered online. For example, Google data analytics professional certificate which is quite popular these days. So that’s it. That’s how to become a data analyst in 2022. Hope this will ease your journey of becoming a data analyst in 2022.